For such a simple instrument the Irish whistle has a huge emotional range and it’s something I’ve always wanted to sample.
O’Malley’s Irish Whistles was performed by Mimi O’Malley and recorded in the same studio as Michaela’s Harp.
The library contains 4 whistles – Bb, C, D, and Low D. Each instrument includes 2x round robin on the long samples and 4x round robin on the shorts.
Each instrument has two sample sets – sustain and staccato which can be selected using either a keyswitch, MIDI CC, or program change.
Despite the inclusion of separate articulations the library was build from a performance first perspective. The sophisticated scripting lets you trigger the different articulations and perform in a way that feels natural on the keyboard.
Features such as legato, continuous dynamics, and a dedicated breath controller mode give you the ability to craft a nuanced performance. The detailed user guide has a whole section covering the performance techniques available.
The live articulation’s legato scripting allows you to perform a variety of common whistle ornaments in real time using your MIDI keyboard. Techniques such as taps, cuts, and rolls are easily performed using the library’s auto-retrigger feature.
With just a couple of MIDI controllers it’s possible to play a range of authentic bends, slides, and formant correct glides into and out of notes to bring your performance to life.
Haven’t I seen this instrument somewhere before?
O’Malley’s Irish Whistles was originally released a few years ago as a Kontakt instrument. That version is no longer available for sale.
I bought the original Kontakt version can I get an upgrade or do I have to buy it again?
If you purchased the professional edition of the original release then you should have received an email offering you a free upgrade to the latest version. If you haven’t received such an email please contact me to request an update – be sure to include your original order number, PayPal transaction ID, or Xtant Audio account details so that I can verify your order.
What is the difference between this release and the original Kontakt version?
Here are all of the major improvements in the latest version of Michaela’s Harp
- O’Malley’s Irish Whistles is now free software, meaning that it respects your freedom.
- The samples have been remastered to improve clarity, reduce noise, and clean up artefacts etc.
- I’ve added sensitivity curve editors for all of the main performance parameters.
- Added a new breath controller mode.
- Added a powerful preset browser for you to save and recall all of your favourite configurations.
- The new version was built with HISE and runs as an independent VSTi/AU plugin or standalone application. It doesn’t require Kontakt or any other extra player.
- A brand new graphical design created by Koke Núñez Gómez.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.